Monday 23 July 2012

Death Of A 'Samurai'

One of the many 'legacies' of British' colonial rule in Malaya, Borneo and Sarawak were pleasant, government-run establishments known as 'rest houses' that were constructed and fully equipped by the empire-builders of the British East India Company based in Calcutta after they had 'annexed' these territories. 'Rest houses' played an important role in the functions of the British colonial administration and in some ways provided guest with a temporary 'home away from home'. As one former governor of the Straits Settlements had remarked, ' It is vital that British government officers kept cool heads at all times in the heat and humidity and are made to feel as comfortable as possible'. 

'Rest houses' were spacious bungalows of simple design with usually four mosquito-proof 'single' bedrooms and two 'double' bedrooms for families, comfortable beds and cots for children, cupboards, wardrobes and writing desks. high ceiling of asbestos, bathrooms with walls of white glaze tiles, large cements cisterns of water drawn from wells, formidable commodes known also as 'thrones' or 'thunder-boxes' of teak, 'extra-soft texture' toilet paper that would have satisfied the most fastidious user and 'old English' lavender-scented soap. Almost everything needed to equip a 'rest house' was imported from England including decorative brass oil lamps of genuine Indian design that were of English manufacture. All 'rest houses' had tennis courts with cement surfaces to allow use even during the rainy monsoon season. 'Plenty of exercise and plenty of whisky helps to keep malaria away' was a popular joke since the majority of tuans and mems (as their wives were called) were known to place their trust in whisky more than in tennis. Besides the courts were garden with variety of shade trees and flowering plants. There were well-stock bars and English beer in 'ice boxes, large, metal-lined, airtight wooden cabinets with shelves for usually wrapped in a 'gunny sack' or covered with a thick layer of sawdust to delay melting, the precious ice having been transported from a town by rail, river or borne by porters through the jungle before reaching its destination.

Dining tables were covered with starched damask tablecloths and rolled serviettes were neatly placed in silver 'ring' beside sparkling 'tumblers' of seamless glass for drinking water; silver-plated cutlery and crockery of Victorian design, decorative water-filters and the punkah that had its origin in India. It was a large sheet of cloth suspended from the ceiling by a rectangular wooden frame and operated by ropes and pulleys by a punkawallah, a punkah 'coolie' who caused the contraption to move forward and backwards by pulling the ropes. It supplied pleasant wafts of breeze. There was also a library room stocked with well-thumbed works of Shakespeare, Tennyson, de Maupassant, Chekhov and Austen, Doyle, Wodehouse, Conrad and Maugham and a host of lesser-known authors as well as outdated copies of British magazines and newspapers. Chinese 'boys' (as written of any age were known) served the tables in starched white cotton jackets and trousers. They spoke a smattering of English, their mispronunciation of word providing much amusement for their English guests. Chinese cooks who had been trained in European-run hotels to prepare English 'favourites' such as ox-tail soup, roast beef, fish and chips, shepherd's pie and Yorkshire pudding, provided tuans and mems with a 'touch of good old English home cooking'. As the wife of tuan remarked, 'More than anything else, I think it was the thrill of eating English food prepared by China men who hadn't a clue where England was! Also guests were expected to appear suitably dressed at dinner although it was being served in the middle of a jungle infested by man-eating tigers!'

'Bar boys' were also known to prepare cocktails or special concoctions to revive those suffering from hangovers. 'Rest houses' catered exclusively to Europeans and their locations were chosen with care, usually in cool patches hacked out of the jungle, on elevated ground beside a river or on a stretch of beautiful beach. At other locations were similar establishments or tempat peranginan (in Malay it meant 'a place to take the air'). These provided accommodation for visiting members of Malay royalty and high-ranking Malay court and government officials. During the Japanese occupation of Malaya (1941 to 1945) 'rest houses' accommodated military administration officers. The old silver crockery, cutlery, decorative brass oil lamps, pictures of the British royal family as well as items of sentimental value were buried at secret locations by 'rest houses' staff. These were dug up after the Japanese surrender and were put back into use when the British colonial administration returned in 1945.

When the Japanese army swept down the Malay peninsula in December 1941, They committed many atrocities. The inhabitants of almost every village and town had bitter stories to tell after the surrender of Japan in 1945. Many stories were written about people who had terrifying experiences. But one that escaped attention was the fantastic story about a lieutenant Yamamoto, a brutal Japanese officers and Minah, a beautiful pontianak.  According to the late Dol Putih, a bomoh, the incredible 'meeting' between them took place in 1943 when the officer was using a 'rest house' in Ulu Selangor as his headquaters. 'I do not expect many people to believe this story', said Dol Putih, 'but it actually happened because I was involved in it. I used my supernatural power to arrange for a pontianak to meet lieutenant Yamamoto, The Japanese officer who claimed to be samurai of the elite Japanese warrior class and who is the main character in the story I am about to tell. But, I must make it clear that a pontianak isn't the blood thirsty demon that people make it out to be. One has to remember that it is a half-human demon. If you had supernatural power you could approach a pontianak for assistance as I did when I wanted to kill this brutal Japanese officer.

'When I explained to the pontianak in this story that the Japanese officer had killed, tortured and raped a lot of people, she was eager to punish him. Of course, she could have killed him easily by transforming herself into her 'other self' a large bird with a hideous human face and long, razor-sharp claws. But, she decided to end his life in a manner that would have shocked even the kempeitai, the dreaded Japanese secret police to which Yamamoto belonged. (Note: Evidence recorded at the International War Crimes Tribunal in Tokyo following the surrender of Japan in 1945 showed that one of the 'favourite' tortures of the kempeitai was to remove the fingernails of suspected 'anti-Japanese spies' in order to obtain 'confessions').

'Some old residents who live in the vicinity where the old 'rest house' once stood will tell you that Yamamoto ghost may still be seen on moonlit nights crawling about the garden, its naked body covered in blood and dragging its entrails along the ground. Also, that a woman's shrill, mocking laughter could be heard. 'listen! The pontianak who killed the Japanese officer is laughing!' kampung folk would say. 'She clawed a piece of flesh from his body each day for twenty-six days and kept him alive in the jungle by forcing him to drink his own blood! She tore his body into pieces and hung them from the branches of two tall trees for the crows, owls and ants to feed on!' lieutenant Yamamoto was fat, stumpy man in the early forties and was head of the kempeitai in the Ulu Selangor area. One of his major concerns was to obtain information about based people who were helping two anti-Japanese guerrilla units based in the jungle, the British-led Force 136 and the Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army (MPAJA) led by the Malayan Communist Party. He spoke fairly good English and some 'bazaar' Malay.

During his search for 'anti-Japanese elements' among the villagers he would arrest young girls whom he accused of being 'agents' for the guerrillas and raped them. Many became pregnant and some had committed suicide rather than bring disgrace to themselves and to their families. This is bomoh Dol Puteh's story (translated from Malay): The parents of many of the victims appealed to me for help. But whom could I have turn when everybody was in fear of being killed by the Japanese? I decided to spend more days alone in the jungle in the hope of getting helpful advice from some of the spirits. One moonlit night as I was meditating under a tree, I saw a young girl approaching me. I recognised her as Minah, who was from my village. I remembered her well because she was raped and died in childbirth when she was about sixteen years old. That was a long time ago. But, like all spirits she hadn't aged. Although she was about sixty five, the same age as myself, she still looked sixteen and irresistibly beautiful. 


It was the first time that I met a pontianak and I could immediately understand why men surrendered themselves so willingly to them! Some had the misfortune to be led to an unexpected and agonising death as punishment for having raped or abused a woman. Minah became a pontianak so that she could take her revenge and kill the man who had raped her. but not having done anything wrong to her when she was alive, I was in no fear of being harmed. The man who raped her was her paternal uncle. Police discovered his body tied to the trunk of a tree close to an anthill inhabited by semut api (large, black ants with big claws). The victim's groin area had been smeared with wild honey. It had attracted thousands of these vicious ants that ate away most of his flesh, exposing the bones. He must have died a slow and agonising death!


The revenge of a pontianak was terrible, indeed! Minah said to me, ;I know why you are here, Pak Putih. Perhaps I could help you to remove this brutal Japanese officer who was caused so much suffering?' "That is most kind of you', I replied. 'Your help would be greatly appreaciated'. 'Meet me under the jambu batu tree in the garden of your house at midnight tomorrow and I shall tell you about my plan to punish him. Please keep our meeting secret'. When we met she told me, ' hear Yamamoto is in search of a new mistress. He usually drinks each evening at a coffee shop where I shall become a waitress only for tonight, so that I could meet him. Come along. It should be quite amusing'.  I was about to ask her how she had planned to punish him when I was shocked to see her face momentarily change into that of a toothless, wrinkled old woman with eyes the colour of blood. Her fingernails grew into long, black claws.


A shiver ran down my spine. The feeling of fear left me after a few seconds when I saw she was once again a beautiful young woman! 'I am sorry if I scared you', she said softly with a smile. I was speechless and my heart was still pounding in my ears from the affects of the chock. I knew she was going to severely harm or kill Yamamoto that night. but before that happened I sensed she would amuse herself by toying with him like a cat would play with a mouse and kill him whenever it pleased her. I had been a bomoh for many years and encountered other evil spirits. but, it was the first time I was about to witness a pontianak's terrifying power!


As I entered the coffee shop that evening, I looked quickly around expecting to see Minah serving the tables in her ;role' as waitress, but she wasn't there. I sat at a table and was wondering where she could be when she suddenly appeared before me. She looked more beautiful than I had seen her before. In her long, silky hair was a red kemboja blossom that matched the colour of her lips. Her eyes sparkled like large, black diamonds in pools of clear water and there was a golden glow about her face. 'You look very beautiful tonight', I said. 'I hope Yamamoto thinks so, too. He hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting impatient. Ah! There he is! He's approaching the entrance!' How could she have seen him when she was facing me and the entrance was directly behind her? Did she also have eyes at the back of her head? i had forgotten for a moment that Minah was supernatural and nothing was impossible for her!


Yamamoto was as usual in the company of some informers who worked for the kempetai. Seeing him, people seated at tables quickly stood up and bowed low. The Chinese coffee chop owner led Yamamoto and his friends to a large table in the corner that was specially reserved for him. Minah said, 'Excuse me. I have some work to do'. I saw her go quickly towards Yamamoto. He had placed a cigarette between his lips but before he could light it, she quickly struck a match and offered him the flame. He looked up and seeing her face, his small eyes almost popped out of his head. he was indeed dazzled by her beauty and lost no time making his romantic intentions noticeable. he offered her a seat next to him while his eyes ran over her shapely body. I moved to a table closer since I was curious about what was going to happen next. 


'What is your name?' Yamamoto asked her. 'Minah', she said softly, lowering her eyes. 'How old are you?' 'Sixteen' 'my name is Yamamoto san', he said. 'I know. You are very popular in this town', she said. He grinned, nodding his shaved head. 'i am very attracted to you', he said. 'You are very beautiful. I did not see you here before'. 'I only started work today'. 'What were you doing before?' 'I was a student, but I had to leave school because I had to go out to work to earn money to buy food and medicines for my old, sick, widowed mother', she said, pretending to wipe away a tear. 'From tonight, you will not have to worry about money! I have plenty to give you!' he said, placing a hand on her knee. he attempted to kiss her, but she gently pushed him away. She turned to flash me a triumphant smile, as much as to say, 'I've hooked him like a stupid fish!'


Minah was playing the part of a shy kampung girl like a professional actress and after half an hour had passed it was easy to see Yamamoto's desire to be alone with her was growing by each passing minute. He leaned close to her and whispered, 'Let's go to my house'. She lowered her eyes, 'I know you wish to be alone with me...' She hesitated and frowned. 'What's the problem?' 'I heard you have a mistress. If she sees me with you, she will be jealous'. he grinned. 'Don't worry! I got rid of her two days ago!' he said raising his voice and laughing. 'Shhh! Not so loud. Others will hear you!' she said, gently pinching his arm and smiling. 'I shall make you very rich if you become my mistress!' he whispered. 'Oh, yes! I would like to be very rich!' she said and nestled closer to him.


'Let's go to my place, now!' he said impatiently. 'All right, but I don't want people to see us leaving together. You go ahead. Wait for me at the entrance to the park'. 'Why the park and not my place?' he asked. 'It's such a romantic, moonlite night! Don't you wish to get to know me better before we go to your bedroom?' 'Of course! I shall meet you at the park', he replied. He rose to his feet and picking up his samurai sword said to his friends around the table, 'I am sleepy and I am going home'. As soon as he left Minah passed by my table and said under her breath, ;I'll be leaving shortly. Follow some distance behind, if you wish to witness the death of this pig!'


I noticed her eyes had turned a bright red but only for a fleeting moment. I knew I was about to witness something I would not forget for the rest of my life. Minah walked leisurely towards the park entrance and I followed some distance behind. The moon was almost directly overhead in a cloudless sky. As she neared the entrance to the park, I saw Yamamoto appear from behind the trunk of a tree. he stood before her with outstretched arms ready to embrace her. She stepped aside, avoiding contact with him and she palyfully ran from him. He chased after her. But she was too fast for him. "Try and catch me if you can!' she said with a laugh.


I knew at once she was planning to lure him along the road that ran deeper into the park and towards the fringe of the jungle. He chased after her and she kept urging him to catch her. When he stopped to catch his breath they had almost reached the jungle. She stood in front of him with her arms extended and said, 'Come to my arms! I am hungry for love!' He went towards her eagerly. But with every step he took, she moved a step away. She had reached an area overgrown with bushes and elephant grass when he lost sight of her. 'Where are you?' he called out. Then, suddenly from behind a bush there appeared a large, black bird with a woman's chalk white, deeply wrinkled face, its eyes red and glowing!


For a moment I couldn't believe what I was seeing, that Minah had transformed herself into a pontianak! But, there she was right before my eyes, an evil, old woman who smelt of rotten flesh! Instant fear had rooted me to the ground. I began to tremble. I heard Yamamoto let out a startled cry as she came slowly towards him. 'How do you like me now? Kiss me!' she said and shrieked with laughther that seemed to echo through the jungle. He tried to run but tripped over the root of a tree and fell, panting. Beads of perspiration covered his frightened face. He looked up and cried out in fear as she hovered over him, her wings flapping and her long claws extended, ready to attack. 'You are a murderer, torturer and a rapist!' she said and spat into his face. 'I am going to kill you tonight! Can you hear the cries of the people you had tortured? Can you hear the cries of the young woman you had raped?'


As she spoke the jungle was filled with the pitiful cries of people in pain and voices pleading for mercy. Yamamoto got to his feet and withdrawing his samurai sword, pointed the long, curved blade at her. With a quick swipe at his hand with her claws, the sword was knocked to the ground. he attempted to grab the pistol from the holster on his waist but she clawed his arm. He screamed in pain and fell among the bushes, blood dripping from his wounds. pouncing on him, she began to rip strips of flesh from his face and head, exposing a part of his skull. his shirt was covered in blood and he was screaming in agony and then I saw a most revolting sight. She ripped away his trousers and tore out his genitals. Shrieking with laughter, she held them up in front of his face!


I was dazed and in a cold sweat. I began to walk away as fast as my unsteady legs could carry me. As I neared the entrance to the park I could still faintly hear Yamamoto's scream and her shrill laughter. Suddenly, there was an eerie silence. When Yamamoto had not reported for duty the following day the kempeitai made a search for him as well as for Minah whom they suspected of having played a part in his disappearance. Several people were interrogated and tortured, but no clues were produced. I was not interrogated because nobody besides Minah knew I had been part of the plot to kil Yamamoto. 


A woodcutter working in the jungle beside the park made a grisly discovery about two weeks later. he found parts of rotting human body hanging from the branches of two tall trees. A samurai sword was discovered among the bushes. Attached to it was an ivory seal with Yamamoto's name carved on it. News of Yamamoto's death soon spread throughout Ulu Selangor and there was great relief among the people to know that this monster had suffered such a terrible death. I have kept details of the murder a secret all these years, until now. I do not have any regrets for the part I played in Yamamoto's murder. He was an evil man. Furthermore, at that time we were still at war with Japan and he was the enemy. 


The next time I saw Minah was when she appeared to me in a dream. Was it a dream? I am not quite sure. It happened shortly after the surrender of Japan in August 1945. Sometimes a woman;s beauty can have a strange effect on a person, because the moment I saw her the memory of her part in Yamamoto's gruesome murder was completely erased from my mind. I knew she had come to say farewell. I was fully awake. I saw her standing in a shaft of moonlight that came through the window of my bedroom and quite suddenly she disappeared. I recalled stories I had heard that pontianaks appeared whenever the moon was entering an evil phase and I was curious to find out the reason for her visit. I ran to the bedroom window and looked out at the moonlit jungle. was she somewhere among the silver trees? 'Minah... are you there?' I called. Silence.


Then, I heard the voice of a woman singing a melancholy song that drifted me in the wind from afar. I could only hear snatches of the lyrics and was able to make out that it was about a young girl who was going to end her life because her parents had forbidden her to marry the man she loved. I wept. It was the most beautiful song I had ever heard. I never heard it again. But, whenever I hear Tudong Priok the famous Malay classic, I note that it has certain similarities to the song I heard that night. Tears rush to my eyes because I believed it was Minah who was singing it. Many years have since passed and like the song, the memory of her has almost faded away.


Note : The influence that bomohs have in the daily lives of most if not all, Malay communities is legendary and despite the advent of the computer and internet, the 'specialised services' they provide their clients is secret, personal and unique. There is some confusion about meaning of bomoh. The Malay-English dictionary describes such a person (male or female) as ;village doctor; magician'. Some authors also refer to them by other names such as pawang and dukun whom the Malay-English dictionary describes as 'magicians who are expert in casting spells, making talismans and drugs'. A bomoh is a respected in member of any community because of his knowledge on incantations (jampi-jampi) and taboos (pantang) that contain ancient Sanskrit words as well as the names of Hindu gods and deities of a pre-Islamic era. These were preserved over the centuries and offered cures and protection against all forms of evil. Today, bomohs may be found in cities and have clients from various races. Among them are politicians, professional for a variety of reasons ranging from choosing favourable times for holding political elections, signing business contracts, the choice  of marriage partners and making talismans and charms as protection against people with intentions to use witchcraft to harm or kill. Most bomoh specialise in curing people who are possessed or who are suffering from mysterious diseases caused by evil spirits usually the result of 'black magic' used by an enemy. In performing exorcisms, bomohs respect the ancient laws of customs (adat) and the strict laws of Islam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment