Sunday 26 May 2013

Last Night

La la la la... last night in Tekong! I'm so happy! P.O.P. Loh!' I will always remember this song and the night we sang it. It was our last night in Tekong. Everybody was in high spirits as we were going to leave the island, hopefully for good. All of us were looking forward to get out of this damn place the very next day. To everyone's surprise, 'Mr. Devil', our platoon commander had promised to leave us alone. However, to the shock of everyone, just after night snack, Leong, one of my platoon mate, was called to the platoon office.

He returned half an hour later with no one other than the Devil himself. 'Lights off! Everybody goes to bed now!/ shouted Devil. 'Recruit Leong! Pack your things now. Tomorrow immediately after breakfast we'll leave. understand?' 'Yes, Sir!' Leong replied loudly with a noticeably depressed tone of voice. As soon as Devil was out of earshot, everybody started yakking and talking about what they were going to do with the short break before posting. Nobody gave any attention to my buddy Leong. They were too happy to be concerned. I asked Leong what happened earlier in the platoon office but he refused to say anything. Slowly and quietly, he went to packing the items in his cupboard into his gunny sack. My guess was that he was given an immediate posting to a hellish camp, probably as a combat engineer and had to forego his break. I offered to help him pack his stuff bu he declined. I did not pursue the matter any further as I assumed that he had too many things on his mind. As the lights went off and everyone got into bed to enjoy their last night's sleep, probably their only good night's sleep on the island, I crawled between my sheets ans was soon fast asleep, happily dreaming about tomorrow. A while later, I awoke to nature's calling. I realized that there was someone still moving around in the bunk. It was already past midnight and yet Leong was still packing with the help of his torch. I heard a little sob coming from his direction and decided to leave him alone.

I got up and headed for the toilet. A strange icy cold breeze gently blew past my face as I got out of the bunk. I shivered a little. Somehow, something made me check to see if I was wearing my amulet. Shit! I left it under my pillow. I quickly finished my business at the 'Great wall of China' and headed back to the bunk. I was startled to make out the figure of an old lady and a little girl before me in the dark. They were walking about inside the bunk. There was something very eerie about this couple that gave me the creeps. 'Granny! Somebody's awake!' the girl exclaimed. I thought I was discovered! Quick as lightning, I hid behind the doors. They did not see me. They were staring at Leong instead. The girl was talking about Leong! Leong turned around, startled by her voice. Before he could react, a mysterious force sent him up into the air and there he was, suspended in mid air. I could see that he was trying hard to scream and struggle but he could not even move a finger. he was frozen with cold sweat trickling down his face. The old woman grinned... Slowly she floated before him and stretched out her right hand. She stroked Leong's hair like a lover would. Suddenly, her expression changed. She began to cry but instead of tears, blood trickled down her cheeks. Slowly, pieces of skin fell from her face like a tree shedding its leaves. Her face was nothing but rotting flesh.

I covered my mouth to stop myself from vomiting. Fear had overcome my senses. I shut my eyes tightly, I dared not to even take a glimpse at the gruesome sight. Oh the other hand, the little girl seemed to be enjoying herself. I could hear her laughing out very loudly, as if watching a clown act. Strangely, none of my platoon mates seemed to have heard that frightening laughter. I heard a crack and curiousity took the better of me. I stole a glance. To this day, I regret my decision. I saw the old lady's head dropped off and glanced in front of her chest supported by nothing but rotting skin. Like a grandfather clock, it began to tick from side to side. Blood spurted out from her neck. It did not stop but spurted higher and higher. It was like a fountain in a pool of blood. She began to caress Leong's chest and her hysterical laughter grew even louder. I could not even imagine what was on Leong's mind as these passed by his very own eyes. 'Leong! No...' my mind was racing fast! My heart was pounding like never before! It felt as if it could jump out of my body any minute. Suddenly, my world turned dark and I fainted. The next thing I knew, my platoon IC woke me up. I found myself on my bed. Before he could open his mouth, I rushed to Leong's bed and kneeled in front of Leong. He was on his bed with a blanket covered right up over his head. I did not realize anything amiss as he usually sleeps like this. I sighed. 

'Leong, wake up. I've something to...' I said, pulling off his blanket, revealing his face. 'Leong!' I cried the moment I set my eyes on him. He was completely stiff. His face was pale, drained of all blood. His skin was modestly covering his skull. His eyes were wide open. There was  fear and hatred in those eyes. It was horrifying. 'Rest in peace, Leong.' I sobbed as I placed the flowers on his tomb. A sudden gust of wind blew past. 'Last... last... last night in Te... kong! Last night in Te... kong...' I could hear the song soar in the wind. I could hear Leong's cry from beneath my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment