Friday 7 June 2013

Dream Of Death

Do you believe that your soul leaves your body while you are sleeping? Like your body, your soul is equally vulnerable. How many of us had dreamt of falling off the building, and had woken up just before we hit the ground? Have you ever wondered what happened if we did not wake up before hitting the ground? When I was younger, I used to laugh at such things, thinking that they are just hocus pocus. However, something happened that changed my mind forever. It happened in June. We had just finished our examinations, and decided to get away for a holiday. Being broke, none of us could afford the exotic getaways overseas. One of us suggested a weekend camp on one of Singapore's islands. All of us agreed and finally settled on St. John island.

That Saturday morning, we rented a bumpboat to take us there. We arrived early, and set our tents up immediately after we found the perfect spot. After settling down, we went on to explore the rest of the island. There were no other campers on the island that weekend. All of us had fun under the sun, splashing about in the sand and surf. At the end of the day, everyone was exhausted. After a short dinner, we soon dozed off. Soon after I dozed off, I was jolted back into consciousness. When I looked down, I saw myself sleeping soundly in the cool night breeze. Strange. Looking around, I could see my friends. They, too were staring down at themselves sleeping. When they looked up, surprise was clearly written all across their faces. 'Let me go over and talk to them, I thought. Unconsciously, I had begun to move closer to them. Rather, I drifted towards them. Looking at the others, their feet were stationary while they moved closer.

'Is this a communal dream or what?' Poh Heng joked nervously. 'What is happening?' Li LIng asked. She looked frightened. 'I don't know. But everything else looks fine to me. Hey, how about a midnight swim?' Ming Hwa suggested. He was the most daring amongst us. Somehow, all of us had unconsciously agreed because we suddenly found ourselves standing on the beach, gazing into the moonlit waters. To our surprise, there were other bathers swimming there. Strangely, we had forgotten about our sleeping bodies and also, out initial nervousness. 'Looks like a party has begun!' Ming Hwa yelled, as he dashed into the water. When I stepped into the waters, it felt no different. The warm waters caressed my skin as I swam. Poh Heng and Ming Hwa went further into the sea. I wanted to join the guys, but Li Ling would be left alone near the shore, for she was not a strong swimmer. In the end, I stayed with Li Ling, playing with her near the shore.

Suddenly, I heard a shout from the guys out there. When I looked out, I saw that they seemed to be struggling. Ming Hwa was the furthest out in the sea. Poh Heng who was some distance behind, was also fighting to stay afloat. Without any hesitation, I swam out into the deeper waters. Li Ling followed me as well. The waters seemed to have become rougher  as I swam further out. I had lost sight of Ming Hwa, but not Poh Heng. However, no matter how hard I swam, Poh Heng seemed to drift further and further away from me. When I looked around, Li Ling had also disappeared. Turning back, Poh Heng was nowhere in sight. However, I could still hear Ming Hwa screaming for help. Following his voice, I swam in his direction. It seemed that my body had grown very heavy. My arms were aching with the strain and I had to fight harder to stay afloat now. I swam with all my might. I must find Ming Hwa. The last I saw Ming Hwa was the sight of him sinking into the waters, his hand disappearing beneath the waves. Strangely, I had begun to feel weak. With the last of my energy, I feebly beat at the waves, trying to keep afloat. Fatigue soon overcome me. As I sank under, I could feel my life going out of me...

I opened my suddenly, and found myself staring at the trees above me. 'What happened earlier was just a dream...' I thought. It was then that I heard someone cry. I sat up abruptly, and saw Li Ling screaming and crying in her sleep. 'Li Ling, wake up! wake up!' I shook her roughly. Li Ling looked at me, dazed as reality slowly descended on her. 'What... what happened? I dreamt that I was drowning, and you were out there saving Ming Hwa and Poh Heng.' Stunned, I looked at her. She had dreamt the same thing. 'Quick, Li Ling, wake Poh Heng up. Hurry!' I ordered Li Ling who sat up immediately, eyes wide open. I turned to Ming Hwa and tried to wake him up.

'Wake up, Ming Hwa. Wake up Ming... Ming! Ming!!' I was shouting into Ming Hwa's ears. Ming Hwa still did not wake up. Li Ling encountered the same difficulty with Poh Heng. Poh Heng just would not wake up with all the shaking she was giving him. I checked their pulse. Their hearts were still beating but they were not breathing. Their skin felt wet and clammy to the touch. 'What do we do? What do we do?' Li Ling panicked. 'Li Ling, do CPR!' and I started to resuscitate Ming Hwa. I pinched Ming Hwa's nose, and blew into his mouth. His lips had tasted salty. No matter how hard I tried, he did not respond. 'Poh Heng's coming around. Look!' Li Ling yelled excitedly, as he started sputtering and coughing up water. Soon after, Poh Heng become conscious. I tried to revive Ming Hwa again. After a while, Ming Hwa coughed out water, but he still laid there, unconscious.

I tried to revive Ming Hwa a few more times. After Poh Heng was all right, Li Ling gave Ming Hwa a try too. However, no matter what we do, Ming Hwa just laid there. We spent the rest of the night keeping vigil. None of us dared to sleep for fear of what might happen again. Ming Hwa woke up after sunrise. He was groggy and he revealed to us that he had a nightmare. He told us that he drowned and died.

No comments:

Post a Comment