Wednesday 26 June 2013

Shadows

During school holidays, mary and I went cycling along the neighbourhood, around the old racecourse road where we used to live. We had heard that one of the shophouses was haunted. Mary, the bravest among us, wanted to check it out. 'Do you want to come with me?' Mary asked that day. 'Hhhmmm...' I was wondering if I should go. 'I am going even if you are not.' Mary was determined.

Suddenly, feeling adventurous, I agreed. 'Okay, you are on!' Abandoned, the houses along the racecourse road were old, with the paint peeling off the wall. After walking a few miles, we reached the old shophouse. The windows were broken and they looked like the hollow sockets of a skull. entering the shophouse, we ignored the 'No Trespassers' sign and went right in. The atmosphere within was oppressive. Despite the scorching heat outside, there was a damp chill about the place. 'Where is the hanging woman?' Mary asked. 'Don't scare me, I don't know!' I answered tensely. It was so dark that I could not even see the hand in front of me. Losing my nerve, I shouted. 'Mary, let's go back.' 'Coward, I won't go. Not until I see her.' When I was admiring Mary's bravery, shadow appeared behind her. 'Mary! Behind you!' I shouted. Mary turned around, and she screamed. 

Terrified, we ran as fast as possible out of the building but my legs were too weak to carry me. Mary had pull me along. When we turned our heads, the shadow was hot on our trail. We tried to open the door but it got stuck. With no choice, we jumped out of the window and landed badly on the ground below. Mary sprained her ankle while I got a deep cut on my arm. Ever since, Mary seemed to have changed. She lost her courage and became very timid. Both of us never talked to each other about the incident again.

No comments:

Post a Comment