Wednesday 10 July 2013

Deserted School

My friends and I decided to have a campfire one day. One of them had found a place in an old abandoned school nearby where we could have our campfire. The school was not in use, and the place was in ruins. I could see the school from my kitchen window, and it would be engulfed in darkness. We thought that it would be great. It was such a different place, different from where the other students would normally go to. And we would have the whole place to ourselves. No other campers was around.

Although the group that gathered at the campfire was small, we were all good friends. All of us had fun. We sang songs as we barbecued our food, and chatted the time away. In no time, it was 11 pm. The fire had burned the wood down to glowing embers, and we sat there in darkness, cozy and warm. I thought of calling my mother to tell her I would be home late and went off alone to search for the phone. I found it at the far end of the building. When I picked it up, I was so relieved that it was working. While dialing home, my eyes darted around the surroundings. It was dark and silent all around me. Brushing away the nervous thought, I tried not to think of it. It was then that I heard the sound of chains being dragged. There was no one but the sound of dragging chains grew louder and louder. It was coming towards me. I yelled out to my friends, thinking that they were playing tricks on me, but no reply came. Then, I heard a sinister laughter from behind me. I lost my nerve then, and immediately put down my receiver and ran back to the campfire.

I told my friends about the incident, but no one believed it. I was so frightened by what happened that I left immediately, leaving them behind. The next day, however, they were pale when I met them. Apparently, they have had encounters of their own the night before. They left soon after I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment