Monday 8 July 2013

Mysterious

'Good evening, Uncle Prasad. Why you look so pale. Are you alright? Do you need my help?' I said to the man coming up in my direction. I had just come back from dinner, and was crossing the basketball court to reach the library. Of Indian origin, Uncle Prasad was one of the three security guards employed by the polytechnic. Streaks of white were visible in his hair, but Uncle Prasad was still going strong. His sharp eyes was a reflection of his intelligence, showing off his keen mental alertness. The school had often called on him to deal with the more mischievous students, and Uncle Prasad was an intimidating man where he was stern. I had always admired him.

Today, Uncle Prasad seemed out of sorts. His eyes were darting around everywhere he went and he seemed afraid, even of his own shadow. This was not the Uncle Prasad I knew. Something was definitely wrong somewhere. Uncle Prasad did not even notice me or hear me. 'Uncle Prasad... Uncle Prasad?' 'Huh? Oh, its you, Sivagami. You are still in school? Its already seven o'clock. Listen to me. Never stay in the campus grounds beyond eight o'clock at night. Never.' 'Uncle Prasad, hey, what's wrong? Are you not feeling well? Anyway, I have to stay back to finish my project tonight.' 'Sivagami, don't ever say I never warned you. After I leave, who is going to keep an eye on you, girl...' There was something in his look that told me something was amiss. 'Leave? To where? Uncle Prasad...?' I questioned. 'Leave this place, my child. I cannot work here anymore. I... this place... or well, I'm just getting old,' Uncle Prasad ended abruptly.

I knew there was more to it. 'Why are you leaving, uncle?' I persisted. 'Alright, I shall tell you. This place is haunted... No, believe me. Yesterday, I had to stay on the campus grounds for night patrol. After locking up the campus gates at seven o'clock, I was stationed at the guard post behind the basketball court and was all alone. At about nine o'clock, I was walking around this basketball court when...,' Uncle Prasad had stopped talking. He seemed nervous. He looked around to see whether if anyone was watching. 'When? What?' I was curious, eager to know. 'When..., when I heard sounds of basketball tapping on the ground from behind. But I had already locked the gates at seven o'clock! I turned, and caught a blurred vision of something tapping the basketball. For a while, I thought I was seeing things, and yelled at that person to go home. Then, the hand turned and came towards me. I screamed and ran. Suddenly, everything went black. I think I must have fainted. This morning, I woke up and found myself in the drain next to the basketball court. When I turned to look at the court, a basketball was lying there!' Uncle Prasad's voice became shrill.

'I quit. I am leaving this place, now.' He said and left. 'Uncle, uncle, wait, wait...' My calls fell on deaf ears. I watched him go, leaving by the school gates. Poor Uncle Prasad. he must have worked too hard. I heard that he lost a lot of money in shares recently, the shock must be too much for him. Turning around, I continued my walk to the library. As I stepped off the basketball court, I thought I heard a basketball bouncing. When I turned around, I saw nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment