Tuesday 9 July 2013

Ghouls

It happened in November 1997. Our promotional examinations had just ended and all of us were in the mood for celebrations. My friends and I decided to arrange for a few days getaway in Changi Chalet. The surroundings of the chalet were quiet as the colonial style chalet was located some distance from the rest. We could not see other chalets as tall trees blocked our sight. Despite the uneasiness we felt about our surroundings, we abandoned all reservations and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We had a barbecue late into the night.

Engulfed in excitement, we hardly realized that it was midnight until fatigue arrived and drained us all of our energy. Tired and sweaty, each one of us decided to have a good shower even though it was past midnight. However, weird things started to take place. Everyone of us who bathed after midnight had slipped in the bathroom. I was rather fortunate as I had bathed earlier before midnight. I was washing the barbecue equipment in the sink just outside the bathroom when I heard my friend, Mei Ling, slipped. by that time, she was already the fifth person to have slipped in the bathroom consecutively. Though two other friends were also helping me to wash the equipment, i could not help feeling afraid and disturbed by what was happening. I frantically muttered a prayer, wishing that everything was just a coincidence. As I ended the prayer, Heng Peng, the daredevil had slipped in that same bathroom!

He had just entered for his shower as Mei Ling slowly limped out from there. At that moment in time, I wanted badly to go home. But the best thing I could do then was to stop what I was doing. I gathered with all my friends in the bedroom. That night, we slept with the lights on. Nothing happened to any of us. I supposed 'whoever' it was in the bathroom is quite harmless though.

No comments:

Post a Comment