Wednesday 10 July 2013

Midnight Studies

I was having my preliminary examination when my eighty year old grandmother passed away. For the next four days, the house was shrouded in chaos. I could not study then, as I mourned the loss of my grandmother. When I could put my grief aside, I found that I was quite far behind in my revision, and had to stay up late every night to study. Forty nine days after my grandmother's death, everyone had accepted the fact that grandmother was gone, and slowly, life began to return to normal. For me, I still had to stay up late to study.

That night, after studying for my Chemistry paper the next day, I went to sleep at about twelve thirty am. It was a cool night. It was so cosy to lie under my thick blanket. I was about to doze off when I heard the sound of familiar footsteps. At first, I did not notice them, being so tired from all that studying. However, the footsteps got louder and louder, jolting me from my tired rest. To my astonishment, the rhythm of the footsteps were familiar. It seemed that I had heard those footsteps before. Suddenly, I realized that they resembled the footsteps of my deceased grandmother, the irregular rhythm of her limping walk. The footsteps were walking all around my house, as if the person was looking for something. I was alone. Alone in my dark room, I did not know what to do. My heart began to beat faster and faster. I began to pray hard that the steps would go away and not bother me. To protect myself, I covered my whole body, including my head with my blanket and tried to sleep with my eyes half opened. It was in the wee hours of the morning that I finally fell asleep due to sheer exhaustion.

After about two hours of rest, I went for my Chemistry examination. It seemed that no one in the house had heard those footsteps except me.

No comments:

Post a Comment